A lot of you might remember Carrageen Pudding from your childhoods for good and bad reasons.
Carrageen is a natural gelatin so it can be added to anything to thicken it up- soups, sauces, broths, puddings, cheesecakes. Carrageen is also a natural cold and cough remedy.
Today we recreated a classic Pudding that is so versatile it can be adapted in so many ways even just adding different flavors.
Here is what you need for your Carrageen Pudding:
- 8g well dried, clean Carrageen Moss
- 800-900ml milk
- A vanilla pod or 2 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- tbsp of Caster sugar
- Crushed digestives to top
- Honey, syrups or fruit
Follow our step by step guide:
- Soak Carrageen in water for 10 minutes, before adding the Carrageen into a saucepan of Milk
- Let boil and add your vanilla, let simmer for 20 minutes
- Next, Separate an egg and put the yolk in a bowl
- Add Sugar and whisk together
- Pour Milk and Carrageen mixture through a strainer into the egg mixture
- Whisking straight away to combine mixtures
- Set to cool in the fridge
- Crushing Digestive biscuits and adding fruit to top
- Then enjoy!
Have a look at some of more benefits of Carrageen: https://www.indigo-herbs.co.uk/natural-health-guide/benefits/irish-moss